her-motorcycle.com

Honda Shadow VT800

by Jean
(Fritch, TX)

1988 Honda Shadow VT800

1988 Honda Shadow VT800

Yippee!!! I can ride today!

I didn't grow up riding bikes, I thought that they were scary and dangerous. My husband has had bikes off and on for years and has always enjoyed riding. He had a kidney transplant a year ago April 30th and wanted another bike, I finally figured out that life is too short not to do what you enjoy so I told him to get another bike, one that could carry both of us. I just knew that I wouldn't ever, ever ride one myself. I rode behind him twice and decided that maybe I would like to try driving one instead of just riding passenger. I planned on taking the safety class first to make sure that I could do it. But Hubby found my little 1988 Honda Shadow VT800 on Craigslist, we went and looked at it and brought it home. This was late last fall. The safety classes were all filled up but hubby took me to an empty parking lot and got me started. The rest is history, I love riding. I did get into the first safety class of the season this spring, passed it and now have the M endorsement on my license, along with my CDL, hazmat, tanker, and doubles. So I can drive anything from an 18 wheeler to a 2 wheeler now.

Comments for Honda Shadow VT800

Click here to add your own comments

Jul 28, 2011
VT800C
by: PEARLS0123

I have owned my Honda shadow for about 10yrs now and have put about 60,000 miles on it. I live in Ohio but I have had this bike to Nova Scotia to Florida to California--up pikes peak Colorado and Mt Washington New Hampshire. Good running bike and I can keep up with the big 1800s most of the time- the only draw back is that it is a cruiser and just the way it sits puts a lot of pressure on your tailbone so I have had to change somethings around to cushion that area. If you are looking for new pipes or chrome accessories you may want to look up Highway Hawk- they are in Europe and they keep their old bikes running for a long time and have things for this bike that you may not be able to find here in the USA.

Jul 16, 2011
Bikeless
by: Jean

There aren't very many of the VT800's out there, glad to hear that you have one.

I know what you mean Sherri, the VT800 are just awesome bikes, but finding anything for them is an experience. Fortunately I never had to replace anything on it. I did have the custom hi-way bars made for it since there wasn't any that would fit it.

I sold my VT800 to a college kid, and now I am in search for another bike. He was without any type of wheels (2 0r 4 wheels) and wanted a 'starter' bike. I think the VT800 is a great bike to learn on and also just a good all around bike. I can't believe how attached I was/am to Annabelle, replacing her is proving to be more difficult than I thought it would be.

Enjoy your ride!

Jean

Jul 15, 2011
Love My 800 Too
by: Sherri

Congrats on your new bike! I have a Honda Shadow vt800 and love it. I have been riding for 15 years and have never sat on a better balanced bike. Wish I could find parts for it though! I needed a new regulator last year, took me 2 months to find it and then had to pay and arm and a leg for it.

May 22, 2011
Practice, Practice

Hi Ginger, my husband had me put-put in a parking lot in first gear until I got comfort with stopping. Also, since you have taken the class..the 600 responds the same as the 250's. You'll be fine, just practice, practice, and then practice some more. And yes I have dropped mine. I forgot to put the stand down...just a little embarrassing but my sweet hubby said that since no more than my ego was bruised, I'll always remember to check it...lol

Oh, one last thing, practice, practice...did I say that already?

It won't be long and you'll overcome your fear with confidence.

Have fun and enjoy the ride!

May 22, 2011
New Bike
by: ginger

I just got my first Honda Shadow 600 last month, and to tell you to truth, I am both excited and scared to death of that bike. I took and passed the motorcycle course, got my CM license but so far all I've done is putter around the yard on her. How do I overcome my fear? I will not give up. Any advice is very helpful.

May 20, 2011
Way to go!
by: Linda

You rock girl! Be safe and enjoy it to the fullest :-)

May 15, 2011
Thanks!

Thanks everyone! The CDL is for work...the M endorsement is for total enjoyment, and you are right, the bike is what I enjoy the most. I don't drive the 18 wheelers any longer. Hubby wants me home. But I'd rather be home and ride my Annabell with my hubby anyway! I added the saddlebags, windshield and custom hi-way bars to Annabell. I try to ride every day...weather permitting. I am so glad that I over came my fear of bikes, nothing else compares to riding your own ride. I still have much to learn, but learn I will!

May 09, 2011
Congrats!
by: Lynn - Florida

Wow, I'm impressed by all your driving license endorsements! Sounds like the 2-wheel endorsement was one of your proudest achievements. You ARE right - life can be too short so grab it by the horns, or handlebars. Thanks for sharing & keep us posted.

May 08, 2011
Story
by: Wanda

I enjoyed your story. Glad you can enjoy your hobby with hubby. Happy riding!

May 07, 2011
Enjoy!
by: Anonymous

Beautiful bike! And you look great on it! Enjoy!

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Honda.

Her Motorcycle

Our Newsletter
Email

Name

Then

Don't worry -- your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Her-Motorcycle.com Ezine.

Home
Most Popular Discussions
All Forums Her-Motorcycle Forum Ask A Motorcycle Question Women's Motorcycle Clubs

Guest Content
Submit

Your Bikes
The Bikes Women Love To Ride

Just Ride!
Learn to Ride Best Motorcycle For A Woman Sport/Touring Bikes New Bikes Used Bikes Bike Values Insurance

Road Trips
USA Road Trips Europe Road Trips Motorcycle Friendly Accomodation

Gear & Gadgets
Helmet Hair Motorcycle Riding Gear Online Partners Parts & Gear Search Motorcycle Accessories

Archives & Resources
Guest Articles History Maintenance Winterizing A Motorcycle
[?] Subscribe To This Site

XML RSS
follow us in feedly
Add to My Yahoo!
Add to My MSN
Subscribe with Bloglines

| Home | What's New | Site Search | About | Contact | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy |

Return to Top
Copyright© 2007-2013 Her-Motorcycle.com. All Rights Reserved.